Happy New Year!
I love beginnings! They always bring the promise of new adventures. It’s also a great time to pause and reflect. I took some time to reflect over the past few years and I learned that in many ways I was unhappy. That unhappiness impacted various areas in my life, including my writing.
I want to do more this year and make it not only a productive year, but a happy one.
How will this affect my writing?
Well, I hope and plan to write more, submit more and continue to grow as a writer.
I specifically want to focus on and accomplish these list of things:
Revise and rewrite my YA Western novel:
- Last year, I made the decision to shelf my novel, Struck By Lightning. It was a hard decision because I love that story and the characters in it. But I’ve hit a wall with it. I’m not sure of the source (though I have some theories) and I think it’s best to step away for a while and focus on other projects. Luckily, I have a (very) rough draft of a western that I wrote in 2017. It focuses on family and forgiveness and new beginnings. It will require a lot of research and reorganization. But I’m excited to tackle it and produce a cleaner draft.
Submit, Submit, Submit (and hopefully publish something):
- I’m thinking about a blog series that covers my submission journey. I once read an article that said writers should aim for 100 rejections a year. I’m currently using an excel sheet to track my submissions and it will include percentages of acceptances and rejections. I’m not aiming for 100 rejections, but I know I’ll rack up some this year.
Outline a comic series:
- I’ve gotten into comic books these past few years and I want to try my hand at writing my own comic. I can’t draw, but I am taking classes this year. Until my skills are strong enough, I’ll focus on world building and character creation. I may be placing the cart before the horse, but it’s just a fun experiment for now. I have a very vague idea and I’m curious to see what will come out of it.
Update my blog regularly:
- The irony of this section is that I waited until the last moment to write it. I started this blog several years ago, right before I began graduate school. Unfortunately, life happened and this blog was neglected as a result. But I want to change things in 2019. Of course, a majority of my posts will still be book reviews. But I want to post more on my writing career, documenting the successes and near successes that I experience. I hope to delve deeper into my writing and figure out what inspires and motivates me. Overall, I just hope to be a lot more active here.
Find a nice coffee shop:
- This may seem like a funny goal, but I’ve always wanted to write in a nice coffee shop. I’m envious of my other writer friends who post about their writing, while sipping a great latte. Living outside of DC means I’m just a short train ride from coffee shop where I can sit and write for a few hours. This will be easier to accomplish in the spring and summer, but hopefully I’ll become a regular in someone’s shop soon.
This is a running list. It will expand and contract as the year goes on. I’ll be sure to revisit this list from time to time and update on any progress. I’m excited for what this year will hold!
Do you have any resolutions for the year? Let me know in the comments or just stop by to wish everyone a happy new year!